Song: Lingus by Oneworld / Cinema by Benny Bennassi
The fabric used for this toile is a cotton poly blend broadcloth.
It was to be the main shirt fabric because dumb me thought broadcloth at joanns was 100% cotton.
As you know this is a shirt made of rectangles and two square gussets. Don’t let those gores fool you, they were turned into 7″ gussets.
As per the period and the construction of several men’s shirts of the time there are no shoulder seams.
The fabric left over will be straight so the collar and possibly the ruff as well. I haven’t cut any of this out yet, of course.
The shirt mock-up is not finished but I’m very proud of my hand sewing and the progress I’ve made. Granted there was a lot of fudging around, especially with the sleeve gathers around the shoulder, along with unfortunate mishaps that happen when you sew late into the night on a work night.
One blunder among many was that I didn’t flat fell the sleeve seams but it’s just a toile so I can forgive myself. Besides, around 9:30 one just doesn’t feel like giving a flying **** about figuring out how flat fell gusset seams.
I also couldn’t bring myself to rip out all the stitches after sewing the sleeve inside out.
It’s also too short so I’m sure my notorious math struck again. I left the sides unsewn because I know more fabric will have to be added. Besides, open sides on men’s shirts are perfectly period.
As you can see, I tried it on just to get a feel for it. It’s way too big for me, the sleeve seams drift very far off my shoulders and the sleeves are miles longer than my arms.
This is the 16th century version of wearing your boyfriend’s shirt, blazer, or boxers. It’s nice to swim in fabric. Very comfy.